Why the Subaru Solterra Is the Perfect Electric SUV for Coloradans
Why are so many people moving to Colorado from other places? Our spectacular scenery, with amazing outdoor activities in a great climate.
What is the perfect vehicle for these people (and anyone who was already here)? The 2023 Subaru Solterra – Subaru’s first fully electric, extremely drivable SUV with off-road capability, comfort and safety features aplenty and good looks, too.
Here’s the top line on the Solterra:
- Three trim levels – Premium, Limited and Touring, with progressively more standard features.
- 215 horsepower, 249 lb-ft of torque getting up to 94 MPGe city/114 MPGe highway on Premium trim; 93 MPGe city/111 MPGe highway on Limited and Touring
- Symmetrical all-wheel drive powered by Subaru’s zero-emissions StarDrive® all-electric drivetrain; Driving Mode Select with four choices: Eco, Normal, Power, and X-mode for slippery or uneven driving surfaces
- S-Pedal (single-pedal driving) system
- Charging time of 9 hours with onboard 6.6-kWh charger; 80% in 56 minutes with 100-kWh DC fast-charger
- 8.3” ground clearance on either 18-inch (Premium) or 20-inch tires (Limited & Touring)
- Maximum cargo volume of 63.5 cubic feet with underfloor storage.
Comfort and Connectivity
Wherever you plan for the Solterra to take you, you need it to be in style and comfort. The 2023 Subaru Solterra comes with heated front seats – ventilated on Touring trim – as well as heated second-row outboard seats and heated steering wheel on the Limited and Touring trims. Cloth upholstery is standard on the Premium version with StarTex® upholstery on higher trims.
The 7.0-inch LCD instrument cluster is standard on all three Subaru Solterra trims, as is keyless, push-button start and Intelligent Assistant voice-activated vehicle interface. Advanced Park Driver Parking Assistance is standard on the two higher trim levels as is the power rear gate with auto-close.
Solterra’s Premium trim comes with an 8.0-inch Subaru Multimedia system with six speakers; Limited and Touring trims get the 12.3-inch Subaru Multimedia Navigation system with the Harman Kardon premium audio system. All come with 4G LTE Wi-Fi capability. Qi Wireless smartphone charging is standard on Limited and Touring versions. USB-A and USB-C input/charging ports are standard. Wireless Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™ are standard on all trims.
Safety Built In
Subaru is legendary for its safety protections and the 2023 Solterra builds on the reputation with an impressive Top Safety Pick+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Its list of included active safety features is extensive, beginning with Eyesight® Driver Assist Technologies and including:
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
- Pre-Collision System
- Pre-Collision Braking
- Lane Departure Alert and Prevention
- Lane Tracing Assist
- Blind-Spot Monitor
- Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Automatic High Beams
- Brake Assist
- Rear-Vision Camera
The Panoramic View Monitor is standard on Limited and Touring models. Heated power-folding exterior mirrors with integrated turn signals are also standard on higher trims. Standard features that particularly help with mountain and off-road driving include X-MODE®, Downhill Assist Control, Grip Control (Hill Ascent and Descent Assist), Traction Control, Active Cornering Assist and Brake Hold.
The 2023 Subaru Solterra is an outstanding transportation opportunity for Coloradans who want to ride the climate-conscious electric vehicle wave. Subaru continues to be one of Centennial State drivers’ favorite brands. The Solterra makes it easy to go electric and stay with Subie. We’re also looking forward to a 2024 Subaru Solterra in the next several months, so if you’re not quite ready to make the jump now, stay in the loop with Schomp Subaru … details coming soon!